Sunday, February 21, 2010

First Coaching Session

I just finished my first session of being coached by Chinrinee. It was so nice! I realized that having a course on dialogue that only allowed, until this point, for written conversation was counter-intuitive. Perhaps this is just me. I know we live in a world where much communication is written word, specifically web-speak, based and wherein even the theory uses terms that are technological in nature (ex- Scharmer's use of the term "Downloading"), but it is very difficult for me. As I told Chinrinee, I think there is a lot to dialogue that is contact specific in that not everything can be neatly typed out and explained. Further, there are pieces of dialogue that are completely unspoken and untypable such as body language, breath and pause that are lost when dialogue doesn't happen face-to-face. Being able to hear Chinrinee's voice and see her face and movement were hugely helpful in feeling supported. Up until this point I have only felt overwhelmed by the course and although we are able to respond to each other's posts, the time delay and lack of personal energy has left me feeling like a single person engaging in material with other single people rather than being a part of a class or group who is exploring together. I will be very interested to see if these issues are addressed in later readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment